Ahh, glorious muffins. A piping hot muffin smothered with ghee is my idea of a comforting breakfast. As a kid, my mom always made the Mixed Berry Martha White muffins- you know the ones, they come in a fun bag and had the tastiest sugary fake blueberry bits. I submit to you the gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free answer to those nostalgic muffins.
Compared to waffles or pancakes, I find a tin of muffins to be the least stressful thing to make. You don't have to worry about keeping the muffins all hot while you continue cooking or throwing away one you accidentally burn which is what always happens to me whilst making waffles or pancakes. Now, I'm not throwing shade at the waffles and pancakes of the world - oh how I cherish you two siblings of the muffins. Bu you can pop these Very Berry Vanilla Muffins into the oven, come back in 25 minutes and just like that beautiful, golden fluffy muffins await your grumbling and impatient stomach.
I've never claimed the title of best decision maker so choosing just one berry for the whole tin didn't seem necessary. I made three raspberry, three blueberry and three raspberry + blueberry muffins for this batch. I'm a sucker for blueberry muffins so those three were still my favorite. If you too can't make a decision - add half of your batter to the 9-muffin pan. Add your berries, then top with remaining batter. Add a few berries on top for a stellar presentation.
Very Berry Vanilla Muffins
- 2 cups sifted blanched almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9 wells of a muffin tin or use liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sifted almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and vanilla powder.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients: eggs, applesauce, honey, ghee and vanilla extract.
- Add the blueberries and raspberries to your batter and fold gently until incorporated. If you prefer blueberries or raspberries only feel free to substitute!
- Spoon batter into greased muffin tin until each well is 3/4 full. These babies will rise!
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of muffin.
- Let muffins cool on a wire rack!
-Adapted from Lexi's Clean Kitchen's French Vanilla Muffins-