I have to be honest here, beets are not my favorite food... I wouldn't even put them top 25. But gosh they are beautiful and vibrant! I SO BADLY want to love beets! They're literally jammed with phytonutrients which have been shown to have anticancer properties. So when I ran across Deliciously Ella's Buckwheat and Beet Risotto, I felt compelled to give it a whirl.
The buckwheat groats have just enough bite to remind me of a classic risotto while the roasted beets and coconut milk become creamy and delightful. Full of comfort and earthy flavors- this dish is a perfect bowl of healthy comfort!
Buckwheat Risotto with Roasted Beets
- 3 beets
- 1 1/4 buckwheat groats
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk
- Generous salt and pepper
- Olive oil for finishing
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a roasting sheet with aluminum foil to prevent sticking.
- Chop off the beetroot near the stalk.
- Place beets on roasting sheet and roast for one hour until soft. The skin will become crispy and can be easily removed from the beet.
- Rinse the buckwheat groat in a sieve until the water runs clear.
- Bring two cups of water to a rolling boil and add buckwheat groats.
- Boil buckwheat for two minutes and then lower temperature to a simmer. Let buckwheat simmer for 10-15 minutes until the water is absorbed. The groats will have an al dente bite to them!
- Peel the skin from the beets and place flesh into a blender (or food processor) along with the lemon juice, coconut milk, salt and pepper. Blend until fully creamy!
- Pour the beet puree into the buckwheat groats and stir until combined.
- Serve topped with a drizzle of olive oil! YUM!
-Recipe rewritten from Deliciously Ella