I feel that many of my recipes here are born from favorite childhood breakfasts. This oatmeal is no exception! I sustained myself in high school and college on the artificially flavored strawberries and cream instant oatmeal. I cherished that overly sweet hit of porridge each morning. Missing that sweet spoonful, I set about finding the No FOMO version! This oatmeal is hearty, rich and just slightly peanut butter and jelly-esque. The coconut oil gives this oatmeal bowl an irresistible creamy consistency. You will now catch me adding a heaping spoonful to ALL my oatmeals, it really makes a huge difference in providing buttery finish.
My husband isn’t the biggest oatmeal lover but with these types of recipes in my arsenal, I will win him over… one hot breakfast bite at a time.
Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (not quick cooking)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup diced strawberries + extra for topping
- 2 tbl almond butter
- 2 tbl coconut oil
- Crushed toasted almonds for topping
- Place a small pot over medium heat, add coconut milk, almond milk and oats.
- Simmer the oats and milk for about 10 minutes, until the oats have absorbed the milks and created a creamy texture.
- Add almond butter and coconut oil. Simmer for another 2-4 minutes over low heat.
- Place oatmeal in two bowls and serve with extra strawberries and the toasted crushed almonds.
- Feel free to top with honey if you'd like your bowl a little sweeter.