When the enormous bag of organic carrots at Costco only cost $7 you end up eating A LOT of carrots. But I'm not complaining because this soup delectable! Fun fact: the ancient Greek word for carrot is philon which is derived from the word "love" as this root veggie was once considered an aphrodisiac! Say what?!? Carrots are good for a lot more than just sexy time though-- according to research carrots act as an anticarcinogen which help dispel toxins and move energy. They also counter gas and aid in stabilizing blood sugar and treat indigestion.
The birds are chirping, the sun is shining and it feels like a great day to spoon into a vibrant, nutrient-rich bowl of soup! Let's get cooking the looove vegetable!
Carrot & Sweet Potato Thai Soup
- 1 tbl coconut oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbl fresh grated ginger
- 2 tbl red curry paste
- 4 cups low-sodium veggie broth
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 3 cups diced & peeled carrots
- 3 cups diced & peeled sweet potatoes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, add 1/4 cup of the broth (doesn't need to be exact!) and the almond butter and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- In a heavy pot such as a dutch-oven, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and ginger and saute about 5 minutes until the onions are just about translucent. Add the garlic and saute another minute or so until fragrant.
- Add the curry paste to the pot and stir. Add the broth/almond mixture, remaining broth, carrots, sweet potatoes and salt. Stir again!
- Bring the soup to a bowl and then reduce the heat to simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the carrots and potatoes are soft.
- In batches, ladle the soup to your blender. Let it cool slightly before turning on so that your kitchen doesn't become covered in bright orange soup! Carefully blend all soup until perfectly creamy. Return the soup to the pot and reheat if needed.
Adapted from Oh She Glows Everyday Creamy Thai Carrot Sweet Potato Soup