After purchasing a gigantic bag of organic kale at Costco, I had to figure out how to eat the whole thing. Enter, lots of kale smoothies and kale salads! I found a recipe for a "Festive Kale Salad" in Oh She Glow's cookbook and got to work! I didn't have all the ingredients Angela used on hand so I swapped a few things out. This recipe puts the kale to work and is absolutely delectable! It made enough for two large servings so I had one for dinner and the remaining salad for lunch the following day.
Kale is a warming vegetable and is a member of the cabbage family! When fresh it has a sweet and just slightly bitter flavor. You must massage the kale before serving to allow the dressing to wilt and soften the leaves, don't even think about skipping this step! Kale has SOOOOO many wonderful health benefits and I try my best to incorporate this bright veggie into my diet every day. I'm not always successful but I try my darnedest! Kale is a powerhouse of nutrition packing in fiber, chlorophyll, betacarotene, Vitamins A and C and calcium. When buying kale, select bright green leaves with no signs of yellowing or decay. Then go home and make this salad!
Tart Cherry Kale Salad
For the "parmesan" you need:
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 1 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp olive oil (or more if needed)
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
For the dressing you need:
- 3 tbl apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbl plus 1 tsp fresh lemon juice or 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbl maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 2 tbl unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger or 1/4 tsp ground ginger
For the salad you need:
- 1 bunch kale destemmed and leaves torn into small pieces
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and finely diced
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 fresh avocado chopped into small cubes
- 1 breast grilled chicken diced into bite size pieces (or store bought organic rotisserie chicken) omit for vegan salad
- To make the "parmesan" place the pecans in a small skillet and toast for about 5 minutes over medium heat. They should become fragrant. Set aside to cool. Add the pecans, nutritional yeast, olive oil and salt to a food processor or pulse until you've got a crumbly mixture.
- To make the dressing place all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined.
- For the salad, add the kale and dressing to a large bowl. With your hands, massage the kale for about five minutes until you feel the kale soften. Let the kale sit for at least 30 minutes to soften further.
- Top your softened kale with the diced apple, cherries, avocado cubes, diced chicken (omit if you'd like) and the "parmesan". If you are not eating the salad immediately wait until just before serving to add the "parmesan".
This salad can sit overnight! Serves 2 large meal sized portions or 4 side portions.
This recipe was slightly adapted from the Oh She Glows Cookbook in which I highly suggest you buying by clicking the link!