Gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free brownies- could it be possible? ANYTHING is possible!!! Boy, oh boy, these are knock your socks off yummy. They are perfectly chewy and dense just like the standard brownie. These fudgy square treats are simple to mix up and will crush that sweet tooth hankering without derailing a clean eating lifestyle. They are sweetened with dates and a smidge of honey! Sweet potatoes provide the base and I just love knowing I'm eating my veggies and indulging in desserts all at once.
Fantastic Fudgy Brownies
For the brownies, you need:
- 2 cups cooked sweet potato, steamed and cubed
- 12 Medjool dates (if your dates are not soft, soak in hot water for 30 minutes)
- 1 egg (room temp sub for flax egg to make plant-based and vegan friendly!)
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter
- 1 tbl raw honey
- 2 tbl coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fine almond flour
- 1 tbl coconut flour
- 6 tbl raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
For the topping, you need:
- 2 tbl coconut oil
- 2 tbl almond butter
- 1 tbl maple syrup
- 2 tbl cacao powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease or place parchment paper in a 9x9 square pan.
- Crack your egg into a dish and let sit until it comes to room temperature.
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes. Place in a steam basket and steam until fork tender, 20 minutes.
- Add the steamed potatoes and dates to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Melt the almond butter, coconut oil and honey over medium heat. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (such as KitchenAid) add remaining ingredients: almond flour, coconut flour, cacao powder, baking powder and salt. With the paddle attachment, blend until combined.
- Add the cooled almond butter mixture and the room temperature egg. Mix again until combined.
- Add the potato/date mix and blend on low until combined. Don’t over mix!
- Place brownies in pan and distribute mix evenly using your hands to push the mixture towards the edges.
- Bake 25-30 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick, if it comes out clean- it is ready!
- Allow to cool for at least ten minutes.
- Make topping by melting topping ingredients over low heat until incorporated.
- Place topping in the fridge to set. It will spread and melt as you smooth it over the brownies.
Store brownies in the fridge! They will keep for about a week.