I've been following Rachel Mansfield's blog...rachLmansfield for some time now but only realized while listening to one of the Balanced Blonde's podcasts that I hadn't yet made any of Rachel's recipes! How I could be a follower without actually having produced something from her talented Insta feed? I immediately felt like a fraud and set out to make something that I could snack on throughout the week. Enter, Blueberry Banana Bread... yummmm!! This loaf is made with almond flour so it is gluten-free but you'd never know it! Filled with fiber, potassium and magnesium from the bananas and loads of antioxidants from the blueberries. There is nothing to feel bad about when you accidentally eat half the loaf in one day- my bad!
I feel such immense gratitude for the community of healthy eaters out in the universe. They make me feel less alone when I'm in a room full of people who can't get over how weird I eat. To me, almond flour instead of all-purpose white flour and coconut milk instead of heavy cream are the norm! I'm not naive in realizing that this ISN'T how most Americans eat. But in a world where too many of us are just getting by feeling bloated, lethargic, unhappy or are aching with pain- I just can't sit by any longer letting everyone go about this way when the secret to feeling better is no secret at all. Eating right is key. Your body can't run without the proper nutrition. If I wake up feeling off my game, I go right to making a vibrant smoothie full of veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds. I swear it changes everything. I feel perked up immediately. My mission is transparent, I want as many people to know that eating a clean diet is SO EASY. It isn't weird or unattainable. It's wonderful and enlightening!
Okay, stepping down from my soapbox. Back to Rachel! I feel incredibly inspired every time I see Rachel's work and I'm excited to share this super simple recipe of hers! I hope you'll find her recipes give you as much motivation for cleaning eating as I do! Her blog is here: www.rachlmansfield.com and I've linked the recipe below! Also, if you're into podcasts, I got so much enjoyment out of listening to this episode of Soul on Fire from the Balanced Blonde.
- 2 mashed ripe bananas
- 2 room temp eggs
- 3 tbl coconut oil melted (and cooled as to not scramble your eggs!)
- 3 tbl maple syrup (Rachel's says honey or agave works as well but I used maple here!)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups fine almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper for easy removal of baked bread.
- Add bananas, eggs, coconut oil, maple and vanilla to the bowl of a standing mixer and blend with the paddle attachment until well incorporated.
- Add flour and baking powder to the bowl and mix again. Scrape down sides of bowl if necessary.
- Add (dry) blueberries and gently fold into the batter.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, my loaf needed to bake closer to 45 minutes for doneness.
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy! I stored my loaf in the fridge to keep fresh.