Each time I see Lee from America post a photo of a smoothie bowl adorned with a Coconut Fat Ball, my mouth drooled and I knew I had to eventually make them. She posted the recipe on her site a few weeks ago, so I went to town making these! They are incredibly easy to prepare and took no time at all. I accidentally forgot the sunflower seeds so mine photographed a little dark than hers, WOOPS!
These balls are low in sugar (especially if you omit the dates) and high in both protein and fat. I love to just snack on one during a midday slump on days when I've kicked up my cardio routine. For the longest time, I've called these balls Coconut Fat Bombs but then realized they are actually balls...so I'll stick with their official title!
I've rewritten Lee's recipe below but you can also go to her marvelous blog here: Lee from America Blog and read her post!
Coconut Fat Balls
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut shreds
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (I forgot these but you should include!)
- 1/4 cup pepita seeds
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 pitted Medjool (soft) dates
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until everything breaks down and a dough forms. This will take a few minutes.
- I used a melon baller with a spring to scoop out the balls so that they were all a uniform size. Place each ball on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes. After freezing, I placed them all in an airtight container for storage in the freezer.
- Lee recommends letting each ball unthaw for six minutes before eating!