This cold salad is zesty, fresh and incredibly vibrant. The radishes bring a peppery vibe but are mellowed by the sweetness of the honey crisp apple. The bold flavors are tangy but nicely balanced with a generous pinch of sea salt. The weather has been heating up nicely over the weekends so we've made the official leap into hot temperature territory and have gotten our ski boat out on the water a few times. We often take our lunch out with us on the boat and this salad packed up perfectly for the ride. If you let it sit too long, the radishes will turn everything a nice shade of pink but the flavor doesn't change. The apples remained crisp and sweet even leaving the salad to chill overnight.
A few tidbits about the nutrition of this salad... Radishes are a good source of folic acid, potassium, vitamin B, riboflavin and magnesium. They have a cooling effect so they're perfect for a warm sunny day. Additionally, because apples are moistening, they reduce thirst and ease heat. Perfect for a day on the boat if you ask me! I really loved this salad, I hope you'll make it and enjoy it's tart splendor on a beautiful spring day.
Basil Apple Radish Salad
- 1 organic honey crisp apple
- 6 medium sized red radishes
- 1 watermelon radish
- Zest of 1 small lime
- juice of 1 small lime
- 1/2 tsp avocado oil
- About 10 large basil leaves, 1/4 cup, ribboned
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- Dash black pepper
- Slice off 1/4 of the apple on opposite sides, then slice of the two remaining smaller sides.
- Using a mandolin (or by hand, just be careful) slice the 4 chunks of apple into thin slices.
- Slice the thin slices into 1/2 inch strips.
- Slice the red radishes into thin slices on the mandolin.
- Slice the thin slices of red radish into small strips.
- Slice the watermelon radish into thin slices on the mandolin.
- Slice the thin watermelon slices in half to create half moons.
- Place all the apple and radish strips/half moons to a bowl and add lime zest, lime juice, avocado oil, ribboned basil (roll up basil into a cigarette like-shape, thinly slice), generous pinch of salt, dash of black pepper.
- Toss to combine.
- Place in the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes, serve chilled!