Ripe, crisp pears married with crunchy sweet apples come together to make this totally fruit based chia seed pudding. It's an exciting twist on the coconut or nut milk based chia seed puddings we all know and love. This bowl of goodness is a splendid option for grab and go in the morning or as a midday snack. I often get hungry around 11am or 2pm at work and I love having something in my space that tides me over and doesn't come wrapped in a package.
Pears and apples actually come from the same family, so it makes sense that their flavors and textures works so well together. Pears are richer than apples and the butterscotch pear that I used in this recipe is especially crisp and flavorful. When making this recipe, choose a pear that feels firm so that it holds up well in the chia seed sauce. Pears ripen from in the inside out so when purchasing a pear, if it feels very soft to the touch- that means the inside is overripe!
Pear Apple Raw Chia Bowl
- One large butterscotch pear or two normal size Bosc Pears
- 2 large or 3 medium apples (go for a crisp variety!)
- 2 soft Medjool dates
- 2 tbl chia seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Slice the pear into four parts, cutting off two large sides and then the remaining smaller sides. Cut half the pear into large chunks and place into blender, dice the remaining pear into small cubes.
- Slice the apples into four parts, cutting off two large sides and then the remaining smaller sides. Cut half of the apple slices into large chunks and place into blender with the pear, dice the remaining apple into small pieces.
- Add the dates, cinnamon and nutmeg to the blender with the pear and apple chunks. Puree until smooth.
- Add the pear apple sauce along with the remaining diced pear and apple to a glass container (that has a lid) and add chia seeds. Stir thoroughly to combine. Place lid on container.
- Store in the fridge overnight to let the chia seeds expand. In the morning, give it a great stir- if too thin add more chia seeds!
- I topped mine with Crunchy Fig Granola, extra apple dices and coconut whipped cream!