I can't believe I would ever look forward to Brussels sprouts but after trying this recipe, I dream about these little green nuggets! I love to get my Brussels sprouts SUPER roasted (can't you tell from the photo) and these provide the salty, sweet, smoky, crispy flavor that is just undeniably tasty! I've adapted this recipe in serving size from the Oh She Glows' Everyday Cookbook version of Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Coconut "Bacon". I don't use the liquid smoke that Angela recommends because I simply don't have it in my pantry stock but I'm sure the addition would be delicious. I HIGHLY recommend you drop your plans and make these ASAP because my good golly- they're THAT good. Angela is a Brussels Sprouts goddess in my world.
Let's quickly talk nutrition - Brussels sprouts are an excellent source of folic acid, vitamins C and K as well as beta-carotene!
Roasted Brussel Sprouts & Coconut Flakes
For the Brussels sprouts you need:
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and halved
- 1/2 tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbl pure maple syrup
- 1 minced garlic clove
- Dash of cayenne pepper (about 1/8 tsp)
For the coconut flakes you need:
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp coconut aminos or tamari
- 1/4 tsp maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- Dash of cayenne
For the Brussels sprouts:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the Brussels sprouts, olive oil, maple and minced garlic to a bowl. Toss to coat.
- Add a healthy pinch of salt, pepper and cayenne to the Brussels sprouts. Toss again.
- Place the Brussels sprouts cut side down on your baking sheet and spread out evenly so they can roast properly.
- Roast for 15 minutes.
Make the coconut flakes: in a small bowl- add all ingredients and stir until well incorporated. Place a small skillet over medium heat. Add the coconut flakes and toast for 8-10 minutes, stirring almost constantly so as to not burn. Once done, place the flakes on parchment paper to dry out while the Brussels sprouts finish cooking.
- Turn the Brussels sprouts over. Roast 10-20 more minutes until you have a beautiful golden roast all over.
- Plate the Brussels sprouts and top with the coconut flakes. EAT IT ALL, IT'S SO GOOD!!!