Mornings and cereal go together like frosting and cake! I haven't been eating as much cereal in life as of the last couple of years because..hello, insane amounts of added sugar!!! I set out to make my own recipe and this version is killer! This cereal is bursting with sweet roasted nuts and uses puffed brown rice as the base. I topped with bananas and unsweetened almond milk for this splendid all-American style breakfast. I hope you love it!
Cait's Nutty Cereal
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup raw pecans
- 1/2 cup toasted, skinned, chopped hazelnuts (roast 10-15 minutes on 350- place in kitchen towel for one minute to steam, rub like your life depends on it to get skins off)
- 1 tbsp black chia seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups brown rice puffed cereal
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Preheat oven 325 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add nuts to a large bowl with chia, cinnamon, coconut sugar, and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat the oil and maple for about 30 seconds, stir until melted together. Add vanilla. Stir.
- Pour your oil maple mix over dry ingredients.
- Stir to combine.
- Transfer your nut mixture to the baking sheet and spread over evenly.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, stir and add the raisins.
- Raise temp to 340 degrees and continue baking 5-7 more minutes.
- Remove from oven once golden brown and let cool completely.
- Add puffed rice to a large bowl along with the cooled nut mix. If desired add more cinnamon. Stir to combine before transferring to a container with a lid for storage.
- This cereal will keep fresh for about 2-3 weeks.