Today, I present to you, faithful followers of the No FOMO project, the ultimate spiciest, spicy chicken romaine salad. The chicken breast is marinated in an easy combo of America's favorite condiment -Sriracha hot sauce (did you think I was going to say ketchup?!) and fresh lime juice. I cannot claim to be a member of the cult Sriracha following but gosh I do love the stuff! Sriracha is one of the only exceptions I make to my clean sauce regimen as it does contain added sugar and preservatives. Gwyneth (Paltrow, obvi) has a recipe for homemade Sriracha but guys I'm just not there yet. Give me that green-top bottle for now, I'll add the homemade version to my ever-growing list of things I want to make! Speaking of Gwyneth- I'm all kinds of obsessed with her right now. She recently became the CEO of goop and that sh*t is impressive. I've got all of the health goddesses cookbooks and even made her all-day turkey bolognese sauce for my honey's birthday last month. It was absolute red sauce tomato heaven. BUT back to this salad.
I had been making a version of this grilled chicken but recently found a recipe in the Lexi's Clean Kitchen cookbook. The version I've included today is an adaption of my recipe + hers. The chicken breast gets grilled which helps retains all of its tenderness and moisture leaving you with a divine piece of poultry to top off a waistline friendly romaine salad. A fresh lime vinaigrette brightens up the whole thing while a few slices of creamy avocado cool off spiciest spicy chicken slices. Fresh thinly sliced red radishes, grilled cauliflower (you've already got the grill on! Slice cauli head into 1 inch "steaks" and rub down with olive oil & S+P) and shredded carrots round the whole plate out with all the nutrition your body needs.
Spiciest Spicy Chicken Salad
For chicken marinade, you need:
- 2 (preferably organic) chicken breasts, about 1 lb
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup Sriracha
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For lime vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbl apple cider vinegar
- Zest of 1 lime
- 4 tbl lime juice (about two limes)
- 4 cups chopped romaine or 1 packaged box romaine hearts
- 1 avocado, sliced into strips
- 1/2 head grilled cauliflower (see above for easy recipe!)
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 2 medium radishes, sliced thin
- Lay the chicken breasts in between two pieces of plastic wrap on a cutting board. Using a kitchen mallet or rolling pin- pound the chicken until the thickness is uniform.
- Add all marinade ingredients to a large resealable plastic baggie. Shake until combined. Add chicken breasts. Press all the air out and let marinade in the fridge overnight.
- Fire up the grill! Once hot, lower temp to medium.
- Add all lime vinaigrette ingredients to a mason jar and shake until incorporated. (Or whisk all together).
- Place chicken on a plate- salt and pepper both sides before adding to grill.
- Grill chicken on each side for 6-8 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.
- Grill cauliflower (if desired) for approximately 5 minutes on each side.
- Make your spicy salad: top romaine with avocado slices, sliced radish, shredded carrot, cauliflower florets and sliced grilled chicken. Drizzle with vinaigrette.
**Recipe adapted from Lexi's Clean Kitchen Sriracha Lime Grilled Chicken in cookbook