Toast without bread? What is this madness! Sweet potato toast is certainly stacking up to be a 2017 food trend so I felt compelled to see what all the rave was about. I am already a self proclaimed lover of sweet potatoes so I easily admit I was quickly won over. Even those of you who may hesitate at the idea of using a vegetable as toast will quickly have no doubts that this fun mash up is tasty! Plus, all the added nutrition is a serious bonus! These toasty slices are a perfect way to get a healthy dose of Vitamin A! Vitamin A plays a powerful role in healthy hair, skin, nails, great vision and more. So, next time you're reaching for the bread, back away and slice away instead!
Here I've provided 4 ways to enjoy Sweet Potato Toast
- 1 nice sized sweet potato, I tried to choose one with a uniform shape versus very long or very wide
- Toppings: almond butter, sliced banana, dried cherries, honey | 1 diced avocado, splash of olive oil, dash of salt, half of one lime juice all mixed gently together | coconut butter, granola, strawberries | ghee, 1 poached egg, 3 slices avocado, salt and pepper
I opted to use the oven to cook my sweet potato slices however I have read many articles on toasting in normal toasters. If you'd like to do that instead of the below... my research suggests that you toast on high for 5 minutes or until cooked through. You may need to toast multiple times depending on the length of your toaster settings.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice sweet potatoes into thin slices 1/4 inch thick (I used my handy mandolin!)
- Place slices onto a baking sheet and give them a thin coating of olive oil and a dash of salt on each side. Let roast for 15-20 minutes, flip and roast for another 15-20 minutes until soft but not mush!
- Finish the warm slices with your choice of toppings! Enjoy my friends!