If you are in need of an Easter brunch idea, look no further than these Lavender Honey Cakes! I baked my in a Nordic Ware flower muffin tin but you could easily just make these cupcakes. I loved the idea of using the delicate taste of lavender to celebrate spring. These cakes are best eaten fresh the day of. You can eat the the following day but they do dry out and become a bit crumbly.
If you decide to bring this to a family gathering just watch their faces when you tell them this recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free! I just love it!
Lavender Honey Cakes
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free flour with xantham
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp poppy seeds (optional!)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 2 eggs (or 2 flax eggs)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- Juice of 1 lemon + zest
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender
For the frosting:
- 1/4 cup coconut yogurt
- 1 tbl lemon juice
- 1 tbl maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease muffin tin or if you happen to have a fun cake pan, grease that.
- In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients (not lavender) until well blended.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add butter and honey. Whip until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs to the bowl and whip. Add vanilla and whip again.
- Add half of the dry ingredients and blend.
- Add half of the coconut yogurt and half of the cashew milk. Blend.
- Add remaining dry ingredients, blend.
- Add remaining coconut yogurt milk and blend.
- Add the lemon juice and zest. Blend again!
- Add the lavender to the bowl and mix in gently with a wooden spoon.
- Fill up the cavities until 3/4 full.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
These are best eaten fresh the day of making them!